Would you like to make this site your homepage? It's fast and easy...
Yes, Please make this my home page!
How to Find a Church Home
(stolen lock, stock, and barrel from the web site for Bellevue Baptist Church)
Choosing a church home that is right for you and your family is a very important decision.
Several factors need to be considered.
- What does the church believe about God and His involvement in our daily lives?
- Do they teach the Trinity?
- Do they believe in the deity of Christ?
- Do they teach the reality of sin and Satan?
- Do they believe salvation is by grace through faith and not works?
- Do they believe the Bible alone is the inspired, inerrant, and infallible Word of God?
To find answers to these and other questions, you will need to do some research. The best
place to start is by observation. Most churches give information material to visitors. Notice what this piece says
about the church and its beliefs. Check the bulletin or other church literature for information about the focus
of church programs. Note the general message the music and sermons convey as well as the prayers, rituals, and
activities of the church. A visit with a staff member to ask specific questions may also be helpful. In addition,
many churches offer a class on their beliefs and what membership involves.
- What is their style of worship--formal, informal, traditional, or contemporary--and does
this style suit me?
- What style of music-- traditional hymns, contemporary choruses, or a combination--is used
in the Worship Services?
- Is the pastor's style of preaching easy to understand and follow?
- How much participation is expected or allowed of the congregation?
- Does the leadership of the church have a sense of vision?
- Are there opportunities for laity to serve or to be in leadership roles?
- Is there a place of service for me?
- Are the people friendly?
- Are there people with whom I share common interests, goals, and stage of life?
- Is there unity among the membership?
- Do the programs meet my needs and the needs of my family?
- Is the church committed to the spiritual growth of its members?
- Do they offer non educational programs--such as sports teams, counseling, or prayer groups--that
are important to me?
- What is the quality of the programs offered?
- Is the size, location, and facility suitable for me?
- Does the church have adequate equipment and resources?
- Is the denominational affiliation one with which I am comfortable?
Obviously, many aspects of finding a church home have not been noted. This is an important
process and one that may take some time. Visit several churches and remember, the key is to pray, asking God for
guidance. He is able and desires to lead you to a healthy, active, growing church where you can serve Him and grow
in your walk with Him and in fellowship with other believers.